Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Cycling in Western Connecticut

I am logging a lot of miles on my road bike this year. My goal was to race this year, I just forgot to tell my body that was my goal. Getting in shape at age 41 is a lot different than at 29, but I am riding about 100-150 miles a week and now that my base mileage is established I am actually getting in some great training rides. I worked on my sprinting ability tonight, as you get older the fast twitch muscles in your body start to deteriorate, but I felt good and my speed is improving for a 41 year old, I know I'm not 21 anymore. I probably won't compete in a mass start bicycling event this year, but I may race a time trial or two if there are any around and I am planning on riding some of the centuries (100 mile) bike rides throughout New England during the Fall Folliage. I am also thinking of entering the Josh Billings Memorial Triathalon in Lenox, MA next month. I would kayak instead of swim, but otherwise the event host a traditional run and bike just like any other triathalon. I plan on swimming this winter to maintain the fitness I've gained this year, and then maybe enter a few real triathalons next year and as many bicycle races I can. I haven't been training with a group so I have no measure of my progress so far this year, but if my average speeds are any indication, I am progressing nicely.

I almost got run off the road tonight by a large box truck, the next time you pass a cyclist please give them as much room as possible, even if they are being an idot and riding side-by-side or in the middle of the road. Not that I was riding in the middle of the road, I was actually to the right of the white line, this idiot just didn't feel like moving over as he passed even though there was no oncoming traffic coming. Thanks!!!

2 comments:

The Motts said...

100-150 miles a week? Is that all?!?! Seriously, I wish you the best of luck in your training and your races! And if you are going to do the billings, and you are up to it afterward, I believe it is the same weekend as the Lenox Apple Squeeze...which is a big to do in Lenox. All the local business participate and it is just a lot of fun!!! Food, Shopping, all that jazz.

I will be participating in my first marathon...but before you hit the floor in astonishment, it will NOT be running, much to the dismay of my nutritionist. I will be walking in it. I am quite looking forward to it, actually!

Dan & Jennifer said...

What is the expected time to complete a marathon walking??? I guess most people walk 3-4 miles per hour so 6-8 hours??? A friend of mine speed walks and can walk a mile and half in under 9 minutes. I have a difficult time running in that time!!! In fact my best time is 9:15.

I hope you enjoy the marathon!!! Have fun and get a foot massage afterwarrds!!!